"Hot Cross Bun Recipe"
Easter is not complete without beautifully warm Hot Cross Buns with lots of butter! heated in the microwave or in the oven makes them super crunchy, and oh so tasty. The smell of these divine buns spreading through the house is amazing. Easter baking is lovely for visitors that pop in over the break, have a go at making this recipe from Edmonds NZ.
- 650g Edmonds High Grade Flour
- 70g Chelsea Brown Sugar
- 1 packet Edmonds Instant Yeast
- 375ml Milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 100g butter, softened
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp mixed spice
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- pinch cloves
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 125g currants
- 100g mixed peel
- ⅓ cup Edmonds Self Raising flour
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tablespoons Caster Sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Combine the flour, sugar, and instant yeast in the bowl of an electric mixer (or a bowl if making by hand).
- Add the milk, egg and butter and knead on low for 10 minutes.
- Add the salt and spices knead until smooth and elastic (around 5 minutes).
- Put into an oiled bowl. Cover and leave until doubled in size, approx 1.5 hours.
- On a clean floured bench knead in the currants and mixed peel.
- Divide the mix into 12 (approximately 120g in weight) and shape into even round buns. Place on a lined baking tray and leave until doubled in size (around 30 minutes).
- Make the cross paste by mixing together the self raising flour and water and putting into a piping bag.
- Make the sugar syrup by bringing the sugar and water to a boil and ensuring the sugar has dissolved, either in a microwave or in a saucepan.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Using a sharp knife, score the buns with crosses. Pipe the paste mix onto the buns and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then brush the tops with the sugar syrup.
Recipe Credit Edmonds NZ
Enjoy, happy Easter from our family to yours x